Sunday, May 19, 2013

May Storms

So I know we live in central Oklahoma. I totally get tornado ally. In fact, I think I have lived in tornado ally pretty much my entire life. I grew up in the DFW metroplex, lived in Kansas, and now OK. So, except for a short stint (ok, maybe not that short!) in Aggieland, I should be used to tornadoes.

Tonight brought some good storms.

We were supposed to be at Iron Man's end of the year First Grade party at 4:00. We were about to leave and Hawkeye notified us to the weather. He thought it would pass in about 30 minutes. An hour later is had still not passed. He looked at the radar and said  - "Let's go for it."  So we assembled the Avengers in the car and took off. Not even 1 minutes later, the tornado sirens went off. Needless to say, we reverted back to the house to get into the closet. The children and I sat in the closet while Hawkeye sat immediately outside tracking radar. Then, the hail started. Large golf ball (majority of pieces), tennis/baseball size hail started pelting the house. The tornado sirens went off a total of 5 times over the next 45 minutes or so.

This was the best part. Hawkeye declared things safe and called the younger Avengers to the front yard to collect hail. While outside the sirens went off again. I scuttled everyone back to the closet while Hawkeye went out the back door. I'm not 100% sure what he saw but he quickly came back inside. He later reported he saw circulation and the breeze matched the circulation. In his words, "I didn't want any part of that."

The house survived, and I'm sure we will be getting a new roof. Both cars have hail damage worth reporting (a few pretty good size dents). We also made it to about 90 minutes of the party and the little Avengers had a water balloon fight with their friends. I told them the only thing that matters is we are ok. Everything else can be replaced.

I am sorry to report the circulation that went right over our heads touched down about 25 miles east of here.

On a bright note - while we were hunkered down in the closet, we also got a new nephew! Hawkeye's sister had her baby!

(These pictures have nothing to do with today, but everyone likes pictures.)